[Fsfe-ie] Videoshop Mark 2 and other issues

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 16:37:37 CET 2003

John Evans wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Apologies to Adam Beecher (and svensk friend).
>
> The explanatory text for the bullet points comes from from the HTML pasted
> at the bottom of James Heald's mailing of Thu Dec4, with the english
> translation credited to Niels Vestergaard Jensen / nvj at fys.ku.dk, and
> nothing to do with me. I simply reordered the points to match the picture.
>
> I also altered the .png file to try to catch the sense of the swedish [which
> is different in interesting ways from the original danish :-) ], and the
> look of the browser. I presume it is OK to alter this file in this way (and
> ditto for the image I have produced!)
>
> I have been sending some background briefing stuff on the swpat issue to the
> Dublin office of MEP Proinsias de Rossa, and I thought that an english
> language version of the Videoshop would be helpful to the ILP to circulate
> as at least an intro to some of the ideas involved in the swpat issue. I
> think it is a good idea not to underestimate the depth of public ignorance
> of this issue.
>
> Gerard Gibbons who manages the PdeR's Dublin office is interested in making
> contact with the emerging IFSO. How would to like to do this?
>
> He also tells me that if the Council does not reach a common position before
> the EP elections (which will take place on 11 June), then the new EP simply
> 'reconfirms' all EP's first reading position at the first plenary in July.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> John Evans

Excellent stuff, John!

Just on the 'reconfirmation' point -- I believe according to the
rulebook, the incoming EP don't even necessarily have to do this;
by default the first reading stands.  But a vote can be forced if 32
MEPs call for it, or if the committee of party presidents put it on the
agenda.

My guess is that even the most pro-swpat people would probably want to
push straight on to second reading, rather than slog through the whole
first reading process again.

There is one other wrinkle -- if the EP does proceed to 2nd reading
after an election, amendments can be tabled which contradict the 1st
reading decision.  (Normally this is forbidden).  So 2nd reading could
be quite a spectacular.

All best,

    James.