[Fsfe-ie] Re: 2004 dates for the EU Competitiveness Council

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Wed Dec 3 12:48:58 CET 2003

Hartmut Pilch wrote:
> Disadvantages of this approach
>  - treats the issue as one of free vs proprietary.

I have not seen anyone credibly suggest that this is an issue of free vs
proprietary.  The "party line" is that it is small European innovators
(both free and proprietary) versus large US monopolies, or
alternatively, innovators versus intellectual property lawyers.

If anyone starts suggesting things like exemptions for free software it
will be massively destructive to our cause as it would constitute a
betrayal of our natural allies, the SMEs.  I hope nobody is so foolish
as to advocate anything like this.

Ian.