[Fsfe-ie] 1page summary to MEPs (new 2 page format)

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Fri Aug 22 20:57:54 CEST 2003

On 22 Aug 2003 at 7:13, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> Right,
>   I've been adding to and condensing this for long enough
> so here it is:
> http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/docs/dear_mep/
>
> It was 4 pages at one stage, I have it down to 2 pages,
> I don't think it could be done in 1 page.
>
> All critisism, suggestions, comments welcome.

At the top you should clearly state that irrespective of any
amendments, anything not banning US-tyle software patents is a stupid
idea and should ideally be banned. Only if absolutely the directive
must pass, /then/ the following amendments are needed to reduce the
damage they will cause. Make it extremely clear that much damage will
occur no matter what amendments.

I suggest this because you want to contain the full force of your
opinion in the first paragraph quite simply because people often
remember only that bit (psychology research).

"The Company Development problem" is more easily argued in favour of
software patents than not. I'd suggest you delete it.

Point out the EPO has done no vetting on software patents already
registered with it. There is no reason to expect that to improve.
Hence patents of other people's inventions and prior art of up to a
decade will continue to happen. Point out that not disclosing the
source code breaks the patent contract where monopoly is given in
exchange for public knowledge of workings so that new inventions can
be spurred (as does 18 month quiet time).

In "The New American Problem", use the word "parasite".

I think Ciaran you have seen a copy of the letter I sent all English
and Irish MEP's. That letter was designed to create a very
uncomfortable feeling in your gut with just a single casual reading.
You could try replicating that.

Cheers,
Niall