[Fsfe-ie] Summary of meeting #2

Aidan Delaney adelaney at cs.may.ie
Fri Aug 8 10:25:37 CEST 2003

On Thu 07 Aug 2003 21:33, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Present:
> Mel McWeeney
> Malcolm Tyrrell
> Sean O'Donnell
> Glen Strong
> Ciaran O'Riordan

Apologies for not turning up, we had several power cuts and NIS wen't down.
Thus I missed the train.

> Discussion topics, and suggestions:
>
>   The EU patents inflation directive
>     need to understand what exactly is happening on Sept 1st
>     Find out what ammendments will be voted on
>     Draft a benchmark for our MEPs: unless ammendments X and Y
>       are inplemented, you must vote no.

We need to get on top of this immediatly.  Maybe do the whole "adopt an MEP"
thing.

>   IFSO could be a good name (Irish Free Software Org)
>     Look into reserving ifso.ie
IFSO sounds good to me.

>   Membership open to N.Ireland? (consensus: yes)
>     Probably open to all nationalities, meetings in Ireland.
Yes from me too

>   When should we set up an organisation?
>     Maybe late January
I'd like to get ifso.ie a bit sooner

>   How do we deal with unDublinising the org?
>     Hold the committee forming meeting in "All other places" :)
>     (Midlands if that's easy for travel, or if there's a cluster
>      of people in one non-Dublin county, we could meet there)
Hands up all the country folk :)

>   How should we decide the committee?
>     Democracy? maybe but we don't know eachother very well yet.
>     5-person agreement? and real elections in 1 year. maybe.
I'm open to this suggestion.

>   An FSFE-IE website?
>     Maybe a non-official (but official looking) one would be good
>       until we have a committee to maintain a real official site
Give me a URL and I'll do the site.  IFSO.ie would be cool, but maybe we could
start out with linux.ie/ifso (ask the ilug guys) or some other free software
related group.

>   Further meetings
>     More frequent similar non-decision-making meetings
>     Maybe another meeting before the Sept 1st patents vote
I'll be along to the next one (promise).

- --
Thanks,
Aidan Delaney
- --
If anyone has both the right and the need to study the code and be assured of
its correct functioning, it is users.
		-- Whitfield Diffie
Checksums of bad data tell you only: "yup, that's exactly the same
bad data the other guy has"
		-- Tom Lord

gpg key: http://minds.cs.may.ie/~balor/public_key.asc