[Fsfe-ie] Summary of meeting #2

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Thu Aug 7 22:33:03 CEST 2003

Present:
Mel McWeeney
Malcolm Tyrrell
Sean O'Donnell
Glen Strong
Ciaran O'Riordan

Discussion topics, and suggestions:

  The EU patents inflation directive
    need to understand what exactly is happening on Sept 1st
    Find out what ammendments will be voted on
    Draft a benchmark for our MEPs: unless ammendments X and Y
      are inplemented, you must vote no.

  Forming an organisation:
    We don't fully understand what we can do as a nonprofit
    A 5 person committee could work

  IFSO could be a good name (Irish Free Software Org)
    Look into reserving ifso.ie
    FIFO is an alternative, it just needs a meaning but it
    will be hard to mention software in that name
    (name from previous suggestion by Aidan Delaney)

  Things possible if we had funding:
    Travel to conferences
    Leaflets at events/colleges
    A press pack
    Tradeshow booths
    (we didn't really discuss where these funds would come from)

  Membership open to N.Ireland? (consensus: yes)
    Probably open to all nationalities, meetings in Ireland.

  When should we set up an organisation?
    Maybe late January

  How do we deal with unDublinising the org?
    Hold the committee forming meeting in "All other places" :)
    (Midlands if that's easy for travel, or if there's a cluster
     of people in one non-Dublin county, we could meet there)

  How should we decide the committee?
    Democracy? maybe but we don't know eachother very well yet.
    5-person agreement? and real elections in 1 year. maybe.

  An FSFE-IE website?
    Maybe a non-official (but official looking) one would be good
      until we have a committee to maintain a real official site

  Further meetings
    More frequent similar non-decision-making meetings
    Maybe another meeting before the Sept 1st patents vote

Plus the usual C Vs. Haskel Vs. Java and other discussions...
(Did I leave anything out or misrepresent anything?)

Ciaran O'Riordan