PDFReaders 2.0 - Your help is needed!

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Di Mai 22 10:10:30 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

On 05/21/2012 04:37 PM, Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> we are currently preparing a major update to PDFReaders.org,
> adding:
>
> * a more appealing and cleaner "home"-page, with *one
> recommendation* for the auto-detected platform
do you really think that is a good idea to have just one
recommendation for the auto-detected platform? I see some problems in
this practice, as it could be understood as an advertisement.
I mean, imagine you are an administrator of some ministry and then you
receive a mail from FSFE that you are actively doing advertisement for
an American company named Adobe Systems and that you should replace
this with a link to pdfreaders.org. Then you go there and you see an
advertisement for another program ...
I think I would maybe delete the link to Adobe but not link to another
advertisement. A platform however, that gives you the opportunity to
choose a pdfreader on your own seems neutral and will maybe receive
more support.

> * Free pdf reader recommendations for mobile platforms * Free pdf
> browser plugin recommendations
>

> BUT, we need some help with gathering/verifying information,
> deciding what to recommend... Please have a look at the current
> Reader-Overview [1] and the TODOs there.
Again, I also think you save yourself a lot of work, if you do not
recommend a single solution :)
And even if you come to the point that there is a common sense which
program should be recommended, someone has to keep track of this. I
mean, in just half a year every program can be changed in total. Then
you need new discussions and decisions about changed programs and so
on ...

Just my 2 cents,
Erik

- --

Erik Albers                               [ ]
Free Software Foundation Europe        [ ][ ][ ]
Policy Team                               [ ]
Your donation powers our work! [http://fsfe.org/donate/]

Contact me in < Deutsch/English/Español > via:
  Mail    eal at fsfe.org
  Jabber  eal at jabber.fsfe.org
  Phone   +49-30-27595290

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).