d-cubes, open pc and openpandora - cool?

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Mo Mai 9 07:59:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:56:47PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> http://open-pc.com/
> A community for building an open pc, three sellers, three designs:
> Open-PC "1", "Micro" and "XS".

The idea sounds kinda interesting; but visiting their site was a major
WTF?! experience for me. Supposedly it's "open", yet I'm unable to find
any information about who decided what and when; nor any useful
information about the final product -- either the hardware or the
software.

(After half an hour or so I found some random link to a wiki, which is
almost empty (apart from spam), but at least has some information about
the software. Still nothing for the hardware.)

> http://openpandora.org/index.php?lang=en
> A handheld with a gaming focus, but basically a mini-pc.

This is a pretty amazing project... But one of the main features they
boast is the SGX 3D core, for which no free drivers are available. In
view of this, I don't think we can fully endorse it either...

-antrik-