[racketiciel] Re: [contact] "My University offers me my Microsoft Windows license" Worldwide Campaign

Serguei Sokol serguei.sokol at aful.org
So Sep 27 11:01:55 UTC 2009

Hello Rui Miguel,

Le 27/09/2009 03:38, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra a écrit :

> > Hello Laurent,
> >
> > The only question that was answered was that it was not a hack.
> >
> > As it is, I must reinforce my disagreement with advising people to buy
> > proprietary software.

Well, we are afraid that it is a misunderstanding.
Our campaign is by no way an advice to
buy a proprietary software.
We advise some eligible people
that have _already_ choosen to do so
to get a refund for it.

> > If the only objective was "to destroy Microsoft's stronghold" on the
> > computer market, it would be one thing, but the objective is to free
> > computer users (nowadays, most humans).

We don't have that goal "to destroy Microsoft's stronghold".
Our conception of a freedom is not to restrict the people
to some kind of software: proprietary or free.
We would like that they have a choice of their OS.
The first step for this freedom is to be able
not to pay for preinstalled software.
Our campaign is just one step in this direction.
After that goal achieved, our arguments
in the favour of free software will have a much larger audience.

That's why we don't have any "egg on our face"
and we think that we are doing a good thing.

> > You don't convince drug addicts to quit by advising them to buy from
> > the big boss as a means to free them from resellers downstream.

Your comparison of software to a drug is just showing
how afraid and panicked you are of the proprietary soft.
We are not. We are just believing that in fair competition
the free software can give to the final user much more
and so win more or less easily.
That's why we are struggling for restoring
these fair competition conditions.

> > I will remove the link to racketciel from nao.quero.imposto.ms
> > while this campaign is on.

Well, you do as you and the members of your association
wish to so.
We'll see how people take this campaign in the next few weeks.