[contact] "My University offers me my Microsoft Windows license" Worldwide Campaign

Laurent Séguin laurent.seguin at aful.org
Sa Sep 26 23:15:16 UTC 2009

Dear Rui,
Dear Matthias-Christian,

We understand your first reaction when reading the page for the students
http://www.racketware.info/msdnaa/call-on-students
However, you may have noticed a link towards a page for the free
software community
http://www.racketware.info/msdnaa/for-free-libre-open-source-software-community

There, you will read this:

---- 8< ----
Recently, in France, new labels have appeared in the hardware department
of  some stores. They advertise a possibility to obtain a refund for
Windows ® from the manufacturer. That is probably mainly due to all
these actions.

However, it is still substantially unsufficient: the licence price is
not displayed alongside the machine.

Neverheless, this refund possibility, today for only some manufacturers,
is irreversible: any step back on their side would shed too much light
on bundled sale issues. We intend to take advantage of this irreversible
evolution to exert a new type of pressure on the manufacturers.
---- >8 ----

Moreover, this campaign is aimed at those students who intended to use
Windows anyway, whom we do not reach very easily.
Through this campaign, those students will discover that they usually
pay for Windows, that they can get a refund for it, that they can even
install an additional OS.

Not to mention that this campaign will put an enormous pressure on the
refund circuit.

I hope this answers most of your questions.
Should you have more questions, please contact us again directly at
contact at racketiciel.info This email address is read directly by people
behind this campaign.

Sincerely,
--
Laurent Séguin, Vice-Président de l'AFUL
-= Association Francophone des Utilisateurs de Logiciels Libres =-