The German PingoS project

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
So Sep 30 17:32:37 UTC 2001

Hello Heiko,

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 10:48:32AM +0200, Heiko Degenhardt wrote:
> (sorry, I don't know if webmaster at fsfeurope.org is the
> right place for that. I just emailed education at gnu.org,
> but without answer. If you know a better contact for us,
> please let me know).

The team at fsfeurope.org address reaches the core team directly.
fsfe-de at fsfeurope.org also are good places to get in contact with
all or the German speaking FSFE people.

> At http://www.fsfeurope.org/education/education.html I
> read that the FSF Europe actively supports the use of
> Free Software in education. I alsothink that  the use of
> Free Software and documentation at schools is one of the
> main tasks of the "community" in the near future.

I agree.

> I would like to point you to the German PingoS project,
> which is offering free Linux support for schools and writing
> school software and documentation under the GPL. The homepage
> (currently only available in German language) is at
> http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org, but you can find a short
> description of the project in English language at
> http://www.pingos.schulnetz.org/description/.

> We are very interested in getting in contact with other
> projects that are promoting free software at schools. We just
> got some contact with the Ofset project (http://www.ofset.org),
> with OpenWebSchool (http://www.openwebschool.org) and with
> Ganesha's project (http://www.ganeshas-project.org).
>
> It would be very nice to here from you what you think of our
> project, and if you see some way that we can cooperate.

From what I know about PingoS, the project focusses on
some of the practial advantages of GNU/Linux and Free Software.
It is stressed several times that "Linux" comes without costs.
Personally I feel that the project should gently also introduced to
the mid-term and long-term advantages gained through Free Software.

Maybe we can meet and chat about how we can help each others.
I think Georg Greve will be in Berlin for the WOS2 and the FSFE
will have a small booth at the Systems in Munich from 15-19.  Oktober.
These might be good occasions.

Note that I am not necessarily lead the education efforts of the FSFE.

Best,
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)