lack of communication

Jelle Hermsen jelle at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 15 17:04:52 CET 2012

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for your ironic lesson in postmodernism, that was really helpful
.-). So to summarize what you said: there is no sideline, no loop, no
"things", no communication and of course there's no such thing as a
cookie. You forgot to mention that there is no spoon, but that would
have overdone it :-)

Anyway, I understand that you mean well and all, but seriously I don't
think you really caught my drift. I'm all for personal meetings. I know
quite a few things about social psychology and group dynamics and
meetings in person can be the gaffer tape that holds groups together. So
by all means, meet as much as possible.

The one thing I have a slight issue with is the fact that for me, a
mostly digital and virtual fellow (heck, I might not even exist really),
there seem to be quite a few decisions regarding the dutch fellowship
that "pop" out of nowhere. For all I care you may have visited a black
box that was suspended in time until a gryphon flew you back to this
plain of existence, including conclusions, resolutions, prearrangements,
results, and of course agreements :).

There were quite a few decisions on what the fellowship should do in NL
that were made during conferences (T-Dose, NLUUG, Fosdem) or other
places that do not include this mailing list. It's not that I disagree
with decisions that were made, or think that there was poor judgement. -
I for example think it's a great idea to make Maurice coordinator. After
he joined the fellowship early 2011 he's proven to give great input. -
But what I miss is transparency, clear communication and I know that
it's this lack of communication that has been brought up before, not
only by me, but also on a broader scale in the FSFE, for example by you
on the coordinators mailing list in Februari this year.

There's of course no deliberate sidelines or anything, people aren't
"out of the loop" on purpose as - like you said - there's no such thing
as a loop. There's just coincidental meetings of persons, exchange of
thoughts and resulting conclusions. I know there's no real system behind
this and what I proposed was to maybe try to tidy the communication a
bit up, using the mailing list for decision making, planning of which
routes we should take. We might wake up some fellows on the list and get
them enthusiastic.

Jelle

ps: I don't care that it takes two weeks for a message to reach to
mailing list, it is what precedes such messages and summaries that
counts for me.