[edu-team] [NLedu] Researching accessibility of Silverlight-based websites

Guido Arnold guido at fsfe.org
Wed Jan 4 15:08:59 CET 2012

Hello all,

Thank you Rikard for your input!

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:09:24PM +0100, Rikard Fröberg wrote:

> I hope it's OK to sneak into this thread with a reflection.

Certainly. I am happy you did! :)

> There is support for accessibility features in silverlight[1].

Thank you very much for this. That's basically what we needed to know.
I feel a little silly that I didn't find that info in the first
place...

> In hope of not preaching to the choir,

Yes, you were :) But that's totally fine, because the info you
provided was exactly what we where looking for.

As part of the NLedu campaign [2], we were looking if there is an
additional argument against the use of Silverlight. We were hoping
that we could say: "You are not only excluding FS users, you are also
excluding people with disabilities which you are not allowed to do."

The disability argument would have had more weight, because as I
understand it, there is a law in the Netherlands that mandates
accessibility for public institutions.

So, if it is technically possible to make Silverlight accessible,
there is no _legal_ argument anymore which only leaves the economical
argument you mentioned that the development/maintenance costs are higher.

Thanks again and greetings,

Guido

[2] http://fsfe.org/campaigns/nledu/

--
Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido      []         Edu team & German team