[edu-team] [NLedu] Researching accessibility of Silverlight-based websites

Guido Arnold guido at fsfe.org
Wed Jan 4 11:06:02 CET 2012

Hello all and happy new Year!

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 09:34:20AM +0100, Jan Verlaan wrote:
> Op 30 nov 2011, om 08:53 heeft Jan Stedehouder het volgende geschreven:

> >> Sure. I am hoping that I can get the email out today or tomorrow
> >> morning. After that, I will be offline until December 11.

FYI, I haven't heard back yet. I will follow-up with her, but also
check for alternatives.

> > I noticed Jan Verlaan already send a list of Silverlight-based
> > websites for the first test of accessibility.

Yes, thanks for that!

> > Last Monday I spoke with Iacobien Riezebosch, an expert in
> > accessibility issues and strong promoter of creating websites and
> > She was very enthusiastic about our campaign and will add her
> > expertise and her network to our work. The research on higher
> > repeat the research for secundary education. I've asked her if it's
> > possible to draw up a test plan that could be executed in a
> > crowdsourced way.

Do you have any news on this?

> > I would suggest to do a quick scan based on the list of Jan Verlaan
> > and then a more thorough research based on the checklist of Iacobien.
>
> I have done some test with online accessibility tools like
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/tools/complete on the full silverlight
> based website http://www.mixteams.com/ but they all fall in error
> due to a silverlight base website! The tools don't know how to
> handle such a website.
> That's not promising a good outcome for accessibility, resulting in
> that we need to verify manually with a checklist.  I hope we can get
> such a checklist from Iacobien Riezebosch soon.

We can also ask around if there is any way for visually impaired
people to draw something useful out of a silverlight based website.
I doubt it.

Greetings,

Guido

--
Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido      []         Edu team & German team