[NLedu] Researching accessibility of Silverlight-based websites

Jan Verlaan jan at verlaan.org
Wed Nov 30 09:34:20 CET 2011

Op 30 nov 2011, om 08:53 heeft Jan Stedehouder het volgende geschreven:

> 2011/11/29 Guido Arnold <guido at fsfe.org>:

>>> We have to start looking for those site. I'm afraid I don't have a
>>> list available. Any help on this is appreciated. I could ask around
>>> among students that need to use Magister, maybe they can cooperate
>>> with your contact. Can you ask her if she is available for testing?
>>
>> Sure. I am hoping that I can get the email out today or tomorrow
>> morning. After that, I will be offline until December 11.
>>
>> Please keep us in the loop if there are any good web pages to test.
>>

> Thank you Guido.
>
> I noticed Jan Verlaan already send a list of Silverlight-based
> websites for the first test of accessibility.
>
> Last Monday I spoke with Iacobien Riezebosch, an expert in
> accessibility issues and strong promoter of creating websites and
> digital materials with accessibility in mind. She was one of the
> authors of report on accessibility on websites of higher education in
> the Netherlands.
>
> She was very enthusiastic about our campaign and will add her
> expertise and her network to our work. The research on higher
> education websites was done with very few resources and still it
> resulted in passing legislation that makes accessibility mandatory for
> higher education. I believe that if we pool our resources, we could
> repeat the research for secundary education. I've asked her if it's
> possible to draw up a test plan that could be executed in a
> crowdsourced way.
>
> I would suggest to do a quick scan based on the list of Jan Verlaan
> and then a more thorough research based on the checklist of Iacobien.

I have done some test with online accessibility tools like http://www.w3.org/WAI/RC/tools/complete
on the full silverlight based website http://www.mixteams.com/ but they all fall in error due to a silverlight base website! The tools don't know how to handle such a website.
That's not promising a good outcome for accessibility, resulting in that we need to verify manually with a checklist.
I hope we can get such a checklist from Iacobien Riezebosch soon.

Kr, Jan