[NLedu] Re: Whitepaper on Magister/Silverlight-alternatives

Jan Stedehouder jan at stedehouder.org
Thu Nov 24 07:49:41 CET 2011

[snip from previous discussion]

> > CP >5. Writing a whitepaper on alternative tools for the online
> > CP >   schoolbuilding that use Open Standards and allow for
> > CP >   vendor-independent access;
> >
> > Please forgive my ignorance, not being a silverlight user myself, what
> > is it what the current system is doing? What services/functionality
> > needs to be covered by the alternatives?
> >
> > Once I have a list of the functionality, I can ask aground.
> >

> I think it's up to the people who write the whitepaper to analyze both
> Magister and Silverlight before compiling a list of alternatives. What
> it does now is:

So, there are already people working on the whitepaper?

-> There is a group on LinkedIn that wants to promote open source in
education and writing the whitepaper would be a good way to get
started. The group will meet this week or next week, but I'll have to
check my contact for the group (Twan Vermunt). Should they decide not
to do it, there is one activist ready to step in and start working on
it (Jan Verlaan) but he would need some help them.

> - Calendar
> - Publishing grades
> - ELO
> - Homework assignments
> - Communication with teachers
> - Projectteams
> - Student portfolio
> - HR information
> - Financial information
>
> http://www.schoolmaster.nl/Producten/MagisterFunctionaliteit/tabid/84/language/nl-NL/Default.aspx
> (in Dutch)

Can I send out emails asking for alternatives for the liste above
without sabotaging
the campaign?

-> Please do. We made it public already that we would provide such a
whitepaper. It could only create more buzz :)

Regards,