[NLedu] Researching accessibility of Silverlight-based websites

Jan Stedehouder jan at stedehouder.org
Thu Nov 24 07:27:47 CET 2011

Good morning everyone,

I hope you don't mind sending out various messages now about
'things-to-do' for the 'Unlocking education'-campaign. It will make it
easier for me to track what stills needs to be done and who is working
on what ;-)

For our legal strategy we want to establish whether computerusers with
visual impairments can work with Silverlight-based websites or not. If
the answer is 'no' we might be able to include them as a group that is
locked out of online school environments that use proprietary
webtechnology and closed standards.

We would like to ask a few people to test Silverlight-based websites
with various accessibility tools that are available for users with
visual impairments: screen readers, braille readers, read aloud tools,
et cetera. Yes, I am aware that this might necessitate working with
Windows, Internet Explorer en Silverlight as well ;-).

I've been thinking about what might need to be included in the research:

1. a decent list of Silverlight-based websites where you have a
combination of text-based information and multi-media, but mostly
text-based (as that would ensure the validity of the research for
Magister);

2. a list of used accessibility tools

3. overview of the points tested

4. some kind of scorecard to test the various sites in combination
with the tools

5. a brief report describing the research and the conclusions.

For completeness sake we would need to include a similar list of sites
that are build in HTML/CSS/Javascript. Am I missing something? What
would need to be added?

Looking forward to your feedback,

Regards