Language (was: FSFE promotion on festival(s) on May 5th?)

Jelle Hermsen jelle at fsfe.org
Mon May 2 19:43:13 CEST 2011

I'm all for English. It's about time we admit our linguistic defeat and give up that weird gurgling frog speak :).

Anyway, I'll try not to derail this thread any further. I think Deborah has a great idea we should keep in mind for next year.

I do like the idea of actually planning something that doesn't interfere with my crazy work schedule. As a self-employed code monkey I usually can't just take a day off to lull about on a geek conference, how much I'd like to do that. And more importantly I don't really see the use of preaching to the choir. It's nice to hook up with like-minded people, but is it really that useful to set up a booth at nluug? There might be some geeks that haven't heard of the FSFE yet, but I think it's better to try to reach the public, raising awareness of free software, open standards. Deborah's idea is great in the sense that it will give us the ability to actually reach "common joe" and not just the tiny crowd of techies.

I'm all with Martijn. It would be great to discuss all of this in the near future. Hopefully we can find some free overlap in our calendars!

Cheerio,
Jelle