11 "bugs" found in 15 minutes

Jelle Hermsen jelle at fsfe.org
Fri Jul 15 14:50:54 CEST 2011

Thanks Matthias!

Yep, that script would definitely do the job. 1 problem is that it uses
the Google search API, and that bugger has a bit of nasty EULA, which
only allows you to do 100 or so automated queries per day. That's not
really a big problem in this case, but since we'll also need to find the
information so we can contact the specific local government in question
there's already a bit of manual labor involved. Adding a manual search
using "site:" doesn't make the manual part that much bigger.

I do however see that this might be perceived as a "brain-dead" job.
Doesn't really worry me much. I have worked as a code-monkey for 2 years
at a firm, banging out Typo3 and Joomla sites round the clock, so
"brain-dead" doesn't really bother me much :-) But anyone who wants to
chip in with half a brain can use this script. I tried it and it works
pretty well. It gives an error when it doesn't find anything, but I
guess the programmer was in a bit of an pessimistic mood when he made it ;)

It needs the simplejson module. To install this on Debian Squeeze you
can use:

sudo aptitude install python-simplejson

You can run it using (I know Almere's website has adobe reader
advertisments on it):
python find-acrobat-commercial.py almere.nl

Cheerio,
Jelle