pdfreaders campaign

Mark Lamers mark at marklamers.nl
Wed Jul 13 07:30:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:07:50AM +0200, Jelle Hermsen wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 08:24 PM, Mark Lamers wrote:
> >    Prima kritiek heren, deze tekst komt van de website en was
> >     waarschijnlijk met babelfish of google vertaald. Ik vin jullie
> >     argumenten terecht.
> >     Dus met zijn allen op etherpad eraan werken heeft ook mijn voorkeur!
> I looked at the letter and it's my original translation of the
> english version. Wouldn't mind to have a babel fish in my ear though
> :) (for all the Douglas Adams fans out there).
  First of all thanks for the work, your work is highly apprieciated, I
  did not mean to offend you. It sounded just a little stiff, that is
  wahat translations do with a letter.

> Anyway, while we're
> at it I suggest updating and discussing the content of the Word List
> for translators:
> http://fsfe.org/contribute/translators/wordlist.nl.html

   Very good suggestion!

> Especially translating the word "proprietary" pose a difficulty in
> dutch. At the time I used "onvrij" which is a bit archaic, but I
> think it's better than using something like "eigendomssoftware" to
> translate "proprietary software". At least it's a single world.

   See the explenation of Sam Geeraets, further down this thread. How do
   you feel about "niet-vrij"?

> The original translation was a very faithful translation (a bit too
> much in retrospect). I's a very good idea if we update it more to
> fit the BNL culture and make it a bit more "soothing", for lack of a
> better word. A one-on-one translation for English to Dutch often
> gives way to an unprecedented bluntness the Dutch politicians are
> famous for :) So maybe it's even best if we ditch the whole
> translating plan altogether and we just try to make a letter with
> the same message, but written from the ground up.

  Great!

\\ML
--
Mark Lamers
email: mark at marklamers.nl
Key fingerprint = 884C F025 C93F D288 BD8D  DA18 749D 2A39 4A7B 2D6A