Telecoms package moves to national level

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Wed Oct 8 16:38:27 CEST 2008

The "telecoms package" is a legislative proposal that creates a government
body that can ban copyright violators people from Internet access without
any judicial process.  Sarkozy's government is the main advocate of this.

Luckily, the European Parliament rejected the proposal - they amended it to
say almost the opposite, confirming people's right to a judicial procedure.

The European Commission have said they accept the Parliament's amendments,
but it's sometimes hard to trust the European Commission.  The next stage of
the legislative proposal is a vote by representatives of the national
governments (the European Council).  To block Sarkozy's proposal, letters
should be sent to the relevent minister in our national governments.

I put this info and some links to the relevent documents here:
http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/eu_states_to_discuss_internet_filtering

(Thanks to Lui for reminding me of this issue.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, +32 477 36 44 19, http://ciaran.compsoc.com/

Support free software, join FSFE's Fellowship: http://fsfe.org

Recent blog entries: