MSFT will leave us in peace...

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Mon Oct 29 10:05:16 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 09:19 +0000, Stefan Champailler wrote:
> Looks like a good news :
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/63623,eu-forces-microsoft-to-cage-open-source-patent-dogs.aspx
>
> But that's so different of what I read (MSFT being ready of enforcing 200 or
> so patents on Linux) that I have hard times believing it's just as good as it
> seems...

This seems to only apply if you do non-commercial work. Most people
would like to do commercial things to actually make a living of Free
Software. Not having the freedom to compete comercially with MS seems
like a bad thing. The FFII also doesn't seem to think this is a very
good thing:
http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/EU_tells_open_source_to_start_paying_MS_patent_tax