Question about a guy

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be
Wed Nov 14 09:40:32 CET 2007

2007/11/13, Stefan Champailler <schampailler at skynet.be>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to gather information about the people who are working in the field
> of FLOSS in Belgium and also related to OpenOffice . I do this with the hope
> of finding a little place where I could help FLOSS to thrive, preferably
> close to my job @ SMALS.

Good idea.

As a member of SMAL, as I wrote earlier, I strongly suggest that you
contact the people at http://opengov.be/ who work in public sector and
try to promote, use and share experience about FLOSS in these
institutions and especially Oliver Schneider
<oliver.schneider at fedict.be> (to whom I spoke about you)

> Does anybody know what's that guy :
>
> http://vandenabeele.com/

> is doing exactly ?

yes, Peter Vandenabeele is a long time supporter of free software in
Belgium, the founder of a company that he now sold, who developped
embedded linux. Peter has been hired by FEDICT to work on the ODF
format , defend and promote it.

> Where he was apparently talking for Fedict.

possible indeed

>A rumor told me that the ISO
> committee that voted "nothing" for OOXML had only one gov member, somebody
> from Fedict. Is that guy the ISO one ?

yes; What is that rumor ?

I attended this Belgian NBN meeting that had to prepare the Belgian
decision to send to ISO. We are not supposed to speak about its
details, but I was not alone representing the free software and open
standards.

> (btw, I also heard that the Belgian ISO vote was somewhat not democratic, but
> that's just a rumor, anybody can clear the FUD ?)

what do you mean by "non democratic" ?

Regards,

Nicolas
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be
Utiliser des formats ouverts et des logiciels libres -
http://www.passeralinux.org.
Pour la bureautique, les seuls formats ISO sont ceux de http://fr.openoffice.org