[Free-RTC] GSoC projects again this year?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Tue Jan 16 21:53:13 CET 2018

Hi all,

In 2016, we were able to get 13 students participating in RTC projects
just under Debian:

https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2016/RTCProjects?highlight=%28rtc%29%7C%28gsoc%29

and there were many more in other communities.

For people who want to mentor, now is the time to get involved.

To get this level of support from Google again (Debian had 25 interns in
2016), it is important for us to get a few projects listed on the Debian
wiki again this week, along with names of possible mentors.  I've
already started on it but I need a few other volunteers who can log in
and add their names:

https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018/Projects

You don't have to be a Debian Developer to be a mentor under Debian.

Also, if you advertise a project now, you are not obliged to accept any
students if none of the applicants are satisfactory or if your
availability changes.

When you register for the wiki, you will probably get a spam error, just
follow the instructions to send an email to wiki at debian.org and CC me
and it should be approved promptly.

Every year a couple of our mentors are randomly selected to attend the
GSoC summit.  In fact, in 2016, Bruno also won the t-shirt design
competition for the summit and was asked to write on Google's blog:

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2016/11/google-summer-of-code-2016-debian.html

Regards,

Daniel