[Free-RTC] mentors needed (Dec'17 - Feb'18) in Outreachy

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Sep 27 11:06:37 CEST 2017

Hi everybody,

Is anybody interested in mentoring in Outreachy from December to February?

I already advertised[1] some projects through Debian but it would also
be possible to do RTC projects under the umbrella of other organizations
like Mozilla or Fedora if you prefer.  Of the projects I listed, I will
only be able to mentor one of them personally.

The Outreachy application process (up to October 23) is also a good time
for candidates to prepare for GSoC 2018, most of what they do in an
Outreachy application can be re-used for a GSoC application.

We had great success with 13 RTC projects mentored[2] under Debian in
GSoC 2016 and if anybody would like to see this repeated again in 2018,
now is the time to start getting involved.

Mentors are usually the biggest constraint on these projects: there is
usually more than 1 good candidate for each project and it is usually
possible to get funding but without mentors, projects don't go ahead.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Outreachy/Round15/Projects
2. https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2016/RTCProjects