[Free-RTC] Project ideas

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Mar 25 07:29:23 CET 2016

On 25/03/16 00:49, Diane Trout wrote:
> would either of these be decent projects?
>
> A jabber/jingle echo server would be really helpful for testing. There were
> rumors of one but it disappeared.

That would be interesting, there are also some ideas in Redmine about an
RTC service probe:

https://project.freertc.org/projects/rtc-server-probe-development/issues

I would like to track your suggestion as a Redmine issue too.  Do you
believe it should be implemented as a standalone project or as a module
to run inside a Prosody server instance?

> There's also the possibility of updating telepathy-rakia. The current package
> is based on an archaic version of sofia sip.
> It might be good to investigate this version that's been more maintained.
> https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/sofia-sip

The FreeSWITCH developers have also forked the Sofia SIP code:

https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Sofia-SIP

and it may be interesting to merge the work from different forks and
then have a combined version uploaded to Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora to replace
their old libsofia packages:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sofia-sip.html

Despite all that, my preference is to see the telepathy-rakia component
completely deprecated and replaced by the telepathy-resiprocate
component.  reSIProcate is much stronger for TLS and IPv6 support and
various other things.

Regards,

Daniel