[Free-RTC] Recording presentations

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:30:43 CET 2016

Hi all,

really looking forward to my first FOSDEM ever! Can I say I'm excited AND
scared as if it's my first day of school? :-)

I've heard of the call for volunteers about recordings of the
presentations. Since I'm one of the presenters, I decided to come up with a
simple way to record my own presentation. I'm pasting it below in case
other presenters may choose to do the same for their own, if not just as a
fallback in case other options fail:

#!/bin/sh

SIZE="1024x768"
FPS="25"
COORDS=":0.0+1366,0"
OUTPUT="fosdem16-devrtc-janus.webm"

ffmpeg -video_size $SIZE -framerate $FPS \
-f x11grab -i $COORDS \
-f alsa -ac 1 -i pulse \
$OUTPUT

As you can see, it's a really dumb script that just uses ffmpeg/libav to
record the desktop (in my case the screen to the right of my laptop, at
1366x0, as there's where the beamer will get my 1024x768 feed from) and the
audio from the laptop microphone. There are probably other fancyer ways
this could be done and in a better way (e.g., gstreamer videomixer and the
like), but this seems like an easy and quick solution enough for recording
slides and audio of the talk, which is probably all that matters (speaker
video missing but I'm not that good looking anyway!). Should video be
recorded some other way as well, the two might be mixed together ex post
somehow.

I realize this is not actually a very general solution to the recordings
requirement, but if you're going to present too and like the idea, feel
free to re-use and/or improve/fix!

See you in Bruxelles!
Lorenzo