[Free-RTC] should Linux distributions include a softphone?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Jan 13 13:06:22 CET 2016

On 13/01/16 12:49, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:43:14AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> I sent an email on the debian-devel mailing list about the way Debian
>> chooses which softphone to distribute:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/01/msg00434.html
>
> This is not abotu including. This is about including in the default
> install.
>
> And the basic issue is that GNOME doesn't provide one, and Debian's
> default is mostly GNOME's one.
>
> How about fixing the issue at the desktop level?

GNOME does provide a softphone: Empathy.  It is installed automatically
with the GNOME desktop on Debian.

Despite the GNOME release-team discussion, I don't think GNOME have made
any final decision to stop providing Empathy, there was more discussion
on another GNOME list from October:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2015-October/msg00004.html