[Free-RTC] should Linux distributions include a softphone?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Wed Jan 13 12:20:00 CET 2016

On 13/01/16 12:11, johnc wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I think that is a really good idea. It is possible to include a
> functional softphone though. E.g. the team behind sflphone (now
> ring) have recently added p2p functionality to their softphone. It
> supports SIP for more traditional hub topologies also. It could be
> configured as part of the Debian install process.
>
> https://ring.cx/
>
> Another client we could make pretty much make work out of the box
> is tox https://tox.chat/

One alternative way to get both of those included is for each of them
to create a Telepathy Connection Manager (CM).  Then their protocol
will be accessible from Empathy and other standard softphones
pre-installed by Linux distributions.

Connection managers don't conflict with any other protocols/packages
or clutter up the desktop, so it should be possible for those to be
installed by default in a Linux distribution.

I already sent this idea to Ring.cx for their bug tracker, could you
make a feature request in the tox.chat bug tracker?  Including the
links below may help them evaluate the effort required.

The TelepathyQt library provides a C++ API to develop a CM.
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/telepathy-qt/

The telepathy-resiprocate project provides a practical example of a CM:
https://www.resiprocate.org/Telepathy_Connection_Manager
https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/tree/master/apps/telepathy