[Free-RTC] SIP and XMPP in universities

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Nov 13 11:52:40 CET 2015

The Internet and federated email largely started in universities and
research organizations.

I've regularly had contact from people in higher education expressing
interest in having SIP or XMPP and frustration that only Skype seems to
work.  Yet it seems that the decision makers in these organizations
continue to move very slowly, renewing support contracts on antiquated
PBX systems rather than asking their IT department to put in SIP and XMPP.

Is anybody aware of any initiatives to change this situation?  For
example, I heard that authorities in France told universities not to
trust Skype but didn't really offer a firm alternative.

Does anybody know of universities that have gone live with SIP or XMPP?

Can anybody suggest any mailing lists where this could be discussed?  So
far I've come across:
ACM SIG UCCS: http://www.siguccs.org/

Given the sharp impact of austerity in some countries, I can't help
thinking that there are some campuses that would seriously look at
dumping the annual support contract for their phone system and
consolidating on improved IT infrastructure, with SIP and XMPP running
as services just like email.