[Free-RTC] RTC spam?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Nov 10 16:03:34 CET 2015

Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> writes:

> On 10/11/15 09:26, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm operating my own xmpp/jabber server since a few months ago, and
>> I have began receiving spam.  This seems like a generic problem
>> affecting anyone operating open/federated xmpp/jabber servers.  Are
>> there any guidelines on how to configure free software xmpp server
>> to deal with spam?  Are there any DNS-based xmpp spam blacklists
>> available?  How do the existing larger free xmpp communities
>> (FedRTC, debian.org) deal with spam?
>>
>> I assume SIP have the same concern, are there any efforts in that
>> community to deal with spam?
>>

> This is an issue that you may want to raise on the XMPP operators list:

Thanks for the pointer!

Maybe this list could be useful for discussing free software remedies
for RTC spam though.

> Both SIP and XMPP require stronger identity verification than SMTP so
> it makes spamming a bit harder but it is not 100% impossible.

Looking at these examples, it doesn't look hard.  What kind of identity
verification is needed?  Is this a server configuration matter?

> How much spam are you receiving?

I have received spam from five different JIDs, unless I'm missing some.
On October 27th, November 3rd, 4th, 7th and 9th.

> How many users on the server and does everybody receive equal amounts
> of spam?

I'm the only one using it actively.  The server has been in use since
April this year.

/Simon