[Free-RTC] Introduction and request for help

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Mon Sep 23 13:52:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Derek LaHousse <dlahouss at mtu.edu> wrote:
> Bas,
> Have you checked out WebRTC at all?  If you've got some of the latest
> Firefox or Chrome (maybe others) builds, you can try apprtc.appspot.com
> to meet your immediate goal.

Except for the fact that there is no reliably end-to-end encryption there.

This is a problem with WebRTC altogether.

Emil

> [...]
>>
>> > Skip Asterisk for now, it is overkill, and as you point out, no video.
>> >
>> > It is very good for building a business phone system though
>>
>> Yes, it looks like it, and it works well so far, except for NAT traversal.  And
>> its documentation is fantastic (except that its focus is not where I needed it).
>>
>> > The config files are fully commented with instructions, but that was
>> > only done after the wheezy freeze began.
>> >
>> > The release team have so far not approved further uploads
>> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=717420
>> >
>> > but upstream and the package maintainer (myself) are quite happy to
>> > upload those changes when authorised to do so.
>>
>> While I understand your reasoning, the usual way in Debian is not to change
>> anything once it is released, except for security and really urgent things
>> (virus definition updates; timezone changes).  If you have a much better
>> version of the package, it might be considered for the next point release, but
>> not for stable itself.  The downside of this method is that stable is always
>> outdated (you're left with the state when it was frozen).  The upside is that
>> it means things are indeed really stable (new "fixes" often introduce new bugs
>> as well).
>>
>> Anyway, to get back on topic, all this doesn't matter for me, as I'm running
>> the TURN server on unstable, so I have version 1.8.13-1.
>>
>> I see you have uploaded 1.9.0~beta1-1 to experimental, at high urgency, with no
>> information in the changelog why this was so urgent.  Is there a big difference
>> with 1.8.13?  Why didn't you upload to unstable?
>>
>> > You can view the commented version of the file here:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/blob/master/reTurn/reTurnServer.config
>>
>> The comments didn't make it to unstable, indeed.  Thanks.
>>
>> > Note that trunk has slightly changed, the version in wheezy does not
>> > recognise the option "UserDatabaseFile = users.txt" and you need to keep
>> > using a single set of credentials for all users, by specifying something
>> > like this in reTurnServer.config:
>> >
>> > LongTermAuthUsername = test
>> > LongTermAuthPassword = password
>>
>> It seems to be the same in sid, looking at the config file?
>>
>> > I've been getting more recent versions of packages into jessie and I am
>> > very hopeful that with feedback from people like yourself we will be
>> > able to fine tune them further to "just work" and jessie will make a big
>> > impact in this space.
>>
>> I would definitely like that.  My main goal would be that two people, where at
>> least one of them is reachable on a public IP (which may not be the IP the host
>> thinks it has), can make an encrypted video call by:
>> - both installing a package
>> - one person filling in the IP (and possibly the name) of the other person
>> and nothing more.  They should not need to set up any server, and they
>> certainly shouldn't need to edit DNS entries.
>>
>> > Please put specific comments about the problems into the bug tracker,

Emil Ivov, Ph.D.                       67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead                           France
Jitsi
emcho at jitsi.org                        PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
https://jitsi.org                       FAX:   +33.1.77.62.47.31