[Free-RTC] Free RTC and WebRTC (repro+JsSIP) demo at GSoC mentor summit

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Tue Oct 22 19:56:59 CEST 2013

I was at the GSoC mentor summit on the weekend

I put together a session to discuss WebRTC as a collaboration
technology.  In that session I ran through the following:

a) the repro SIP proxy as a SIP over WebSocket solution, we used the web
interface to set up a bunch of test accounts for people in the room

b) JsSIP as a solution for people to use on their web sites: the
volunteers used the test SIP accounts to log in with http://tryit.jssip.net

Everything just worked and several pairs of volunteers were able to make
calls between themselves.  Thanks to Google for providing virtually
unlimited bandwidth on their campus.

Some other WebRTC solutions were discussed during the session (not all
involve SIP):
  https://togetherjs.com/
  http://peerjs.com/
  phono - a client hard-coded to use the Tropo service, appears to offer
SIP calling through Tropo

There was also a session about the general state of free social
networking (not specifically RTC).  I emphasized the need for free
software developers to try and integrate RTC with other social
technologies (e.g. a single user ID) to maximise the convenience for
users and increase chances of success.

In both sessions I suggested the Free RTC mailing list as a good meeting
point for people to pursue further interoperability using free software
in these areas: