[Free-RTC] Debian / Outreach Program for Women - RTC project?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Oct 10 00:15:38 CEST 2013

On 09/10/13 18:58, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 05:47:44PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Debian is participating in another round of Outreach Program for Women (OPW)
>>
>> b) potential co-mentors
>
> I might be interested, but the links you gave don't clearly show what it
> involves.  Can you explain, please?

The advice I've had from other mentors with more experience is to
basically publish a very broad topic description and let the applicants
use their imagination to propose things.

If we get a top-gun applicant, they are likely to propose something that
is very original, and so we try not to constrain the project too much in
this early stage.

However, in practice, RTC is a really hard topic and it is hard for
beginners to judge the amount of work really involved.  So we see what
they propose but then we can go back to them and help them refine their
proposals into things that are achievable in the given time frame and
their experience level.

All the co-mentors ideally help throughout the project, answering
emails, reviewing code, testing the project, etc, maybe 1-5 hours per
week per co-mentor