[Free-RTC] [FOSDEM] VoIP and XMPP/Jabber rooms 2014?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Fri Oct 4 18:54:56 CEST 2013

On 04/10/13 18:28, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2013-10-04 11:53:40 (-0400), Lee Azzarello <lee at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>> The realtime track at FOSDEM 2013 was by far the best conference track
>> I've ever attended.
>
> Maybe you should get out more?
>
>> It's a shame FOSDEM organizers didn't recognize how influential it
>> was.
>
> What makes you think we didn't recognise that?
>
> I fail to see exactly what you want to achieve with this post.  The
> developer rooms for FOSDEM 2014 have been announced.  No amount of
> trolling on mailing lists is going to convince us to kick someone else
> out to replace with you.

That goes without saying - and it was certainly not the intention of my
original post

> FOSDEM tries to offer a varied programme from year to year.  That means
> not having exactly the same developer rooms every year.
>
> The success of a developer room in one year certainly increases their
> chances of being scheduled again, but it's no guarantee.  On the other
> hand, trying to engage stressed organisers in pointless discussions is
> an excellent way to make them forget the sucess of your developer room.

Are you suggesting the whole discussion is pointless, or just that one
post?  Nobody has called for any other devroom to be scrapped though.

My own post was aimed at finding a constructive way forward, for
example, making it easier to engage venues offsite and promote them
through the schedule, nothing more... think of FOSDEM expanding to the
size of the Edinburgh Fringe perhaps, with hundreds of sites (279 venues
in 2012).  Maybe not feasible for 2014, but it is a nice thought.

It is not just devrooms that miss out each year, many participants are
turned away too when the rooms are full.  If extra people want to
volunteer to provide solutions to that problem, it is a win-win situation.