[Free-RTC] Escape from PRISM!

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jun 14 21:56:43 CEST 2013

Emil Ivov <emcho at jitsi.org>
> I am confused. Are you writing because you are looking for a SIP
> provider, because you'd like to make the point that dumb RTC developers
> should finally just get it and convert to service providers or just
> because you feel like complaining today?

The answer is D: None of the Above.

I'm looking for a RTC solution that I could wholeheartedly recommend
to less tech-inclined co-op members - and a way to call POTS (whether
SIP provider or whatever isn't important) is part of that.

> I've tried to give you a few pointers and you seemed happy to dismiss
> them with a perfunctory glance. If this is all the effort you are
> willing to spend then this obviously is not a serious issue for you.

I'm not happy to dismiss them!  I was trying to the highlight how much
a good list of what works is needed - the providers that you think
work don't give enough info for the likes of me to tell.  Their
websites aren't detailed enough and no-one seems to have good listings
any more!

I'm old and jaded and I've probably spent weeks and hundreds of pounds
over the years getting free RTC software to work, putting that info on
the VOIP Info wiki way back when.  Yet this is still not enough for
you?  Then there is no hope: most people won't even put in this much
effort.

It's sad if the idea to post a list of what services work with free
RTC software was only words.

> On 14.06.13, 13:49, MJ Ray wrote: [...POTS is not a solution...]
> > No, it's not a solution, but it is a necessary step towards a solution.
> >
> > It's extrememly unlikely that everyone will adopt compatible free RTC
> > software at once.  It may even be good to flash up a "big brother may
> > be listening" warning to remind users of this if the software spots
> > them talking with a POTS bridge (numbers starting 00 maybe?), but
> > we're still going to have to do it at least occasionally for a while,
> > even if only to talk to the public sector.  Skype seem to understand
> > that POTS services are a useful selling point and potential revenue
> > source for now...  do free RTC developers?
>
> You really believe that this is about someone just not getting it?

I really don't know what to believe.  I mean, it seems obvious that
having user-controlled free RTC services with a choice of
standards-based service providers is better than government-tapped
black box apps, doesn't it?  So why don't we seem to be winning yet?

> You understand that a developer != service provider, right?

Yes.  Do you understand that free RTC developer efforts are undermined
by poor service providers at the moment?

If you'd like the great software you develop to have more users, please
help them to navigate the rest of the solution.

Hope that clarifies,