[Free-RTC] Escape from PRISM!

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Thu Jun 13 14:15:10 CEST 2013

Hey MJ,

On 11.06.13, 17:12, MJ Ray wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au>
>> There are also some sore points, e.g. the Debian 7 release includes an
>> Empathy version that only works with Google's gmail TURN server and
>> not the Debian packaged TURN server.  Things like that are going to
>> continue frustrating users for some time to come but will eventually
>> be ironed out.
>
> I think it's a far bigger frustration that we can't actually call
> anyone who's not using the same system yet, and sometimes it won't
> even work on the same system, while the debugging logs on either
> client or provider often seem to be insufficient to actually find out
> why something doesn't work.

Debugging is a tough process. Developers would generally try to help
with logs but everyone has priorities and if looking at an issues takes
more time than one has, well, it will just end up on one of those
endless todo lists that we all purge every now and then when we realise
that we need to be realistic.

On the other hand, if you try to look at logs yourself and learn how to
read them, then you can help a lot (and learn a lot in the process).

That said, I don't remember seeing you post on the Jitsi mailing lists,
so if you are having any issues, that would be a good place to start
looking for help.

> I've got jitsi working over XMPP, but damned if I can see how to let
> others call in,

Others just need to add you to their roster and then click on the call
button.

> or call outside the same system with it :-/

Not sure what you mean by "outside the same system" but if that's "other
XMPP servers", then everything works exactly the same way as calling
people on the same server: you just add them to your roster and call
them. Obviously they also need to be on a federated XMPP server.

Also at least one of the XMPP servers has to have a Jingle Nodes relay.
We run one on jit.si so you should be able to connect to others when
calling from there.

If by "outside the same system" you mean "calling POTS phones" then
you'd better use SIP.

Emil

--
https://jitsi.org