[Free-RTC] Escape from PRISM!

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jun 12 12:28:55 CEST 2013

I asked:
> > The lumicall site says things like "If the VoIP provider supports
> > SIP, TLS and ICE, it should work" which is great, but what UK VoIP
> > DDI provider supports all three?

Sylvain Berfini answered:
> http://www.linphone.org provides a free SIP service with the above 3
> features. It works great with the Linphone app, but should work well
> with any SIP (RFC 3261 compliant) client.

3 features?  I count 4 - SIP, TLS, ICE and DDI.  I think Linphone.org
doesn't support Direct Dial In - a phone number that can be called by
non-VoIP users or users of private VoIP systems like Skype.

Mass use requires ways to call between systems, including the legacy
phone network.  We've had a SIP URI on our website for years, but I
think we've had probably less than ten non-DDI calls to it, either
directly or via http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers

So we really do need a +44 phone number for a VoIP system to be
useful.  Yes, we could set up our own hardware to do that, but I'm not
very good with telephones (I don't even hear properly) and don't
really want to start another telco.  I'd rather pay someone good who
understands telephony to do it.  I get my fingers burned often enough
when dealing with telephone companies already.

Regards,