[Free-RTC] Escape from PRISM!

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Jun 10 20:00:26 CEST 2013

On 10/06/13 19:44, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 6/10/13 4:44 AM, Sam Tuke wrote:
>> On 07/06/13 19:14, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> We've got help people break out of PRISM. Decentralized
>>> technologies can help...
>
>> I wrote this last year about the UK "snooping charter":
>
>> https://fsfe.org/news/2012/news-20120616-01.en.html
>
>> Although there are lots of existing Free Software systems that
>> protect users' communication privacy, there's still no practical
>> solution for audio communication afaik. None of the systems I
>> know of are reliable enough to recommend to people who don't
>> control the network they're communicating over.
>
> Unfortunately I'd agree. The folks who work on Jitsi, Kamailio,
> and other such projects might be able to provide better insights
> about audio/video than I can, but the challenges are large (NAT
> traversal, media relays, etc.).

The situation has improved a lot and there is momentum

E.g.

- - Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora all have a federated SIP proxy, federated
XMPP servers and TURN servers in their current or upcoming stable releases

- - WebRTC will be easier to deploy than full softphones - full NAT
support (e.g. TURN over TLS) is not complete, but it is being
implemented so the end is in sight

- - more people looking at all my web sites (lumicall.org,
rtcquickstart.org) every day

There are also some sore points, e.g. the Debian 7 release includes an
Empathy version that only works with Google's gmail TURN server and
not the Debian packaged TURN server.  Things like that are going to
continue frustrating users for some time to come but will eventually
be ironed out.