News about the use of Google Classroom in Denmark

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Wed Feb 22 20:15:51 UTC 2023

In August, the Danish data protection agency banned the use of Google's
products in the municipality of Helsingør.

If this ban is upheld, the use of Google Classroom in 40+ municipalities
will be illegal.

The agency has allowed Helsingør to continue using the product until
supplying further information in January, since postponed some times.

Now, the interest organization "KL - Local Government in Denmark"[1] are
arguing[2] that if Google's say that they need students' personal data
to "enhance" the product and "innovate" it, then the Danish
municipalities should provide that data.

These data, that Google may use to "enhance" its product includes IP
address, email address, location, passwords, metadata, bookmarks, and
... files created by the students.

In the article in the medium Radar I refer to (i.e. [2]) a professor of
administrative law argues that this is probably against the Danish
school law. I also imagine it must violate the GDPR, but IANAL.

But basically, Google are taking the municipalities hostage (who, I
might add, have bought *individually* from Google - they haven't
negotiateed as a block) by claiming that they *need* that data to
operate - a claim that must certainly be false.

Best
Carsten

[1]: https://www.kl.dk/english/

[2]: