eIDAS 2.0 directive and free Android variants

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Tue Dec 12 10:56:25 UTC 2023

Hi Mateusz,

Am Montag 20 November 2023 19:35:32 schrieb Mateusz Jończyk:
> I would like to point to a particular problem with using free software
> variants of the Android operating system (LineageOS, etc.): namely
> proprietary apps that detect if the phone's software is modified (by
> rooting or installing custom ROMs) and then refuse to run if it is so.

yes, this is a huge problem. Thanks for pointing it out.
I already heard and read about this in a few FSFE contexts. I think there are
quite a few people who want to get active on this. Help with that is welcome
of course.

> Google makes this easy with its DRM mechanism called Google Play Integrity.
>
> This is particularly problematic with software that is important in daily
> life, for example banking [1] and government-provided apps.

Banking is a sore spot as almost all people will need banking.
It seem that using a seperate hardware device still works with some banks.

But the general trend to only offer some services with proprietary apps is
worrysome. Not just for software freedom, but also for people without a
smartphone at all. (Just read today that German's railway company will move
from a plastic card to their app for their requent rider card. :( )

Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute