FSFE and the war in Europe

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Thu Mar 17 20:38:47 UTC 2022

On 3/17/22 19:15, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 March 2022 10:13:28 CET Vitaly Repin wrote:
>> Yes, FSFE is not a polictical organisation. But what happens now is beyond
>> any politics. This is a full-scale war which happens now and here, in
>> Europe.
>>
>> I feel that FSFE MUST issue an official statement about the war and actions
>> of Russia.
>>
>> I do not know how free software activists and organizations can contribute
>> to the peace in a more meaningful way than by issuing statements.
>>
>> But I believe that the statement shall be made as a bare minimum and it
>> shall be crystal clear.
>>
>> Silence is not an option.
> I agree. I don't think it is in any way controversial to say that we as human
> beings condemn this war of aggression against the people and sovereign nation
> of Ukraine. And that is a mild statement, in case anyone thinks that it is too
> "political".

I am personally horrified and appalled by the Russian attack on Ukraine
and the crimes they are currently committing. It is tragic, and it's
something we had very much hoped not to see in Europe in our lifetimes.
It's destroying Ukraine, it's destroying civil society and the small
remains of press freedom in Russia itself - basically dragging down all
that's good about Russian in the most stupid nationalism imaginable, and
it's threatening all of Europe. It *is* horrifying.

In spite of this personal opinion, I think that responding to this war
is a bit outside of FSFE's remit. I'm not even sure it would be possible
for it to make a statement on a non-free software related event, even as
horrifying as this one, given that free software is the only area the
FSFE is really working on.

I actually suppose everyone in the surroundings of the FSFE is as
appalled by this war as I outlined above, but as I see it this is simply
not what the FSFE does. RMS once stated that there are many people
working on other political causes, against war, against torture, for
civil rights, and that such struggles can ultimately be more important
than free software - but that free software was what HE was fighting for.

I think something similar can be said for the FSFE. In MY view - others
may disagree, and that's fair. It's not that we'reĀ  not all against this
war, but *I* think - speaking only for myself - that the FSFE is not the
right forum for responding to this.

Except maybe giving all free software-related help & support to the
relief effort we could, if anyone has suggestions.

Best
Carsten