Guides/Howtos about how to upstream a feature?

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 8 10:54:42 UTC 2021

Hi friends of Free Software,

just did a small search to see if there are guides out there that explain how
to give a change to a Free Software product. Do you know good ones?

This would be about
 * Open a issue or discussion about the feature or fix.
 * Write up arguments (technical details, what users are interested in)
 * How to contribute code

It should be general (so not specific to a code hosting platform or a Free
Software product or community) and if possible from a credible source (one
where the potential conflicts of interest are known and one that works mainly
by journalistic or scientific standards).

Here are few that were _not_ a good match for me:
  *
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/08/03/getting-started-with-contributing-to-open-source/
  ( too mich on how to find anything to contribute to, no a specific one.)
  *
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/resources/open-source-guides/participating-in-open-source-communities/
  (too little on how to actually do it.)

 * https://opensource.guide/how-to-contribute
   (comes from one platform github)

 * https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
   (About writing defect reports.)

 * https://producingoss.com/en/index.html
   (From the perspective of producing an FS product and building up a
    development community.)

Ideas, anybody?
(Links in German also welcome.)

Best Regards,
Bernhard
--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute