GNOME fndn. is actively violating the Freedom 3

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 14 17:45:56 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 23:52:28 CEST Heiki Lõhmus wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 07:14:51PM +0000, kreyren at rixotstudio.cz wrote:
> >
> > This is not as GNOME is seemingly intentionally making their libraries
> > to work only with their solutions and even trying to make their
> > library to break 3rd party software (common practice in non-free
> > software) according to the termite project that put in effort to
> > hotfix lot of those changes to make the terminal to work.
>
> It is not up to you or the termite project to decide what benefits the
> whole community.

The problem here is rather familiar in Free Software, and the realm of the
"free desktop" in particular, in that the (part of the) community developing
the software seems to have its own "vision" about how the software should be
used. This software gets packaged up by distributions or by the developers
themselves (who have not always been able to cooperate with distribution
maintainers) and ultimately lands in front of end-users as some kind of "done
deal".

What one then has to consider is how a user may practically exercise their
freedom to modify and distribute the software. This can be particularly
challenging if the software of interest is part of a virtually monolithic
suite or collection of projects and libraries, and I think the "free desktop"
projects made considerable mistakes, historically, in their technological
choices and assumptions about how they might be able to encourage people to
get involved and to contribute.

(For instance, KDE largely shunned dynamic languages for ages, where such
languages would have made modification convenient and approachable, and then
decided to introduce JavaScript as a kind of scripting solution, which rather
came across as condescending whilst failing to appreciate the maturity and
diversity of existing dynamic language adoption. My most recent experience
looking at the GNOME platform required buying into the use of GNOME Builder,
which is not an experience I personally would feel comfortable imposing on
others.)

But as has already been pointed out, no-one is being denied their "four
freedom rights" in the referenced matter: people can always change the code
and redistribute that code to other people, and this must indeed have been
going on. It might have been inconvenient to maintain a fork, and the most
seemingly efficient outcome might have been to integrate the changes upstream,
but the upstream developers are not obliged to accept and maintain any code
that is offered to them.

However, what we see is a rather asymmetric relationship with regard to
influencing what end-users will ultimately experience. A few people working in
a large company (let us call it "Blue Hat") may be able to leverage adoption
of that company's operating system distribution to get their "vision" in front
of lots of people, and being in such a privileged position, they may be able
to reject requests for changes or improvements, claiming that they simply know
better than everybody else.

It would be all very well to insist that anyone who has improved on a
particular piece of software can merely release it, get the word out, and
eventually Blue Hat might come round to adopting it instead of the original
upstream edition of that software, but we all know that many social,
institutional and technological obstacles would need to be overcome for that
to happen. Meanwhile, most end-users just have to take what they have been
given, which rather starts to feel like proprietary software.

Some Free Software projects have considerable incumbency advantages, and their
developers have considerable power and privilege over end-users because of
that. Unfortunately, not enough attention is given in the Free Software
movement to the responsibilities that should accompany such power and
privilege. If it is not the end-user failing to appreciate a "vision" (and are
doing the equivalent of "holding it wrong" [*]) then the excuses of "we're all
volunteers" or "we do this for fun" get trotted out.

[*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8761240.stm

So while I don't believe that in this case anyone is "actively violating" any
of the four freedoms, I don't particularly think that the technology concerned
is developed in a particularly democratic or respectful way. But again, I
don't think these issues are adequately addressed in the Free Software
movement, aside perhaps from a degree of attention on development practices
and project transparency.

[...]

> > Which to me clearly recognizes the presented situation and why we
> > should do something about it instead of making our own rules to define
> > those freedoms e.g. https://fsfe.org/freesoftware
>
> Don't troll, please.

Although one can argue it is insincere to portray the FSFE's description of
the four freedoms as redefining them, I think care has to be taken to avoid
losing or mutating various nuances when rephrasing them. For instance, the
"study" freedom on the FSFE's site doesn't correspond precisely to "freedom 1"
because it fails to mention changing the software.

Paul