RCS a standard to supercede SMS and Threema?

Giel van Schijndel giel at mortis.eu
Thu Mar 18 13:54:13 UTC 2021

On 18-03-2021 12:16, Bernhard E. Reiter wrote:
> Hello friends of open standards,
>
> did you know that
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services
> is a standard that aims at replacing SMS,
> now even with end-to-end encryption upcoming,
> where quite a few carriers are supportive?

> Does somebody know more?
>   * Is this really an open standard (like we define it [1])

At first glance, and from my experience with these kinds of
consortia-created specifications: likely not. I.e. I cannot even find
even a link to a paid version of this set of specifications (what
disqualifies most ISO standards from being called "open"). From some
quick browsing around this looks similar to other consortia where you
have to become a member in order to get access to these specs. This
usually comes at considerable cost, usually only a serious option for
large corporations.

I'd gladly be corrected on this. But until finding a relatively cheap
way to access the specification's text at least your crypto question
isn't answerable.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,