"Open Source Gardens" and Free Software

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Sun Mar 14 15:20:49 UTC 2021

Hi all,

although it is not directly related to Free Software, it is very close and I
thought the gardeners among you might be interested in a project some friends
and me are running: The world wide seed market is heavily dominated by three
chemical companies who control the market via artificial property rights and
patents. Most of them are hybrid-varieties that are possible to reproduce
further. This, to artificially limit the availability of seeds and put farmers
around the globe in dependencies to said companies.

Since some years now there is an "Open Source Seeds" movement growing up,
whose breeders put their seeds under a copyleft license that protect their
seeds and any future breeding from these seeds from being traded under
artificial property rights and patents.

To spread the word about it some friends and me created the "Open Source
Gardens" to bring homegardeners in contact with concepts of Open Source Seeds
and Free Software. Now we are running a campaign in that we send out seeds of
different varieties. If you are a gardener, get a kit, join us or help spread
the word:

https://opensourcegardens.info/order-seeds.en.html#springflowers

Best regards,
   Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Programme Manager & Communication | FSFE