Enhancements and fixes for js-encumbered websites

W. Kosior koszko at koszko.org
Thu Jul 1 16:08:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'd like to invite you to take a look at and possibly contribute to our
project aiming to deliver user-controlled Internet. We're developing a
platform to allow, among others, _replacing_ web pages' scripts with
user-provided ones. Besides making websites once again usable with
libre software, we also plan to facilitate making, running and sharing
site enhancements (features, styling, alternative interfaces,
translations, accessibility fixes).

Documentation* (also contains non-technical concept explanation):
  https://koszko.org/browser-extension-doc.html
Issue tracker: https://hachettebugs.koszko.org/projects/hachette
Git repo: https://git.koszko.org/browser-extension/

If you have questions, comments, advice or constructive critique, you
can also write directly to me: koszko at koszko.org

Side-note: project will use the name "Hachette", inherited from Jahoti's
  extension. Documentation and source code are not yet updated to use
  that name, though.

This is our response to the WWW ecosystem getting more and more
bloated with proprietary javascript code and user-abusive mechanics.
We are starting with a browser extension for both Mozilla- and
Chromium-based browsers (although very different in concept from
LibreJS, Greasemonkey or NoScript), with the ultimate goal of creating
a platform usable with any browser, with its own repository for sharing
fixes and enhancements.

We're going to apply to one of NLnet funds[1] that happens to
_exactly_ match our project's goals. We're looking for a mentor to
help us with this. If you have any experience with such applications,
please share it with us.
We're also looking for possible contributors. If you want to liberate
your web browsing and have some time to spare, there is surely some way
you can help, even if you don't know javascript (and if you know it,
that's even better).

RMS wrote about the need for such facility 12 years ago[2]. How come
nobody came up with anything since then? It's about time someone did
something.

Wojtek

[1] https://nlnet.nl/useroperated/
[2] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

* In the future, documentation is going to be moved to our issue
  tracker's wiki: https://hachettebugs.koszko.org/projects/hachette/wiki

--
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg