FSFE-defined coding standards?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Feb 14 21:59:08 UTC 2021

Trimming to get the context back...

On Saturday, 13 February 2021 05:11:23 CET Jacob Hrbek wrote:
> >> The (F)LOSS ecosystem is currently mostly focusing on quantity over
> >> quality

[...]

> I would also argue that not everyone in (F)LOSS cares about their future
> job in Computer Science to have such a motivation to write a good
> software especially if their FLOSS software is their main source of
> income such as lutris example thus why we should as a community enforce
> the code quality otherwise there is really no motivation for these
> developers to care.

In my experience, it is the broader discipline of software engineering that
upholds the quality of software products, not computer science, at least when
it comes to the delivery of that software to end users. To clarify, it is
often not about the best algorithms or whatever people think of as computer
science, but the tedious automation that needs to be done to make sure that
mistakes have not been made in producing and delivering software systems.

I have worked in academia and in commerce and have found that people do indeed
write software that achieves certain objectives, but the process around
writing, documenting and maintaining the software involves engineering
activities that are neglected. Software development, like many things, is in
most cases a continuous, unceasing process; so is the pursuit of quality.

[...]

> As said i consider this to be self-evident otherwise we would see FLOSS
> used in government (in relation to central europe) and on business level
> that is almost never the case unless the business is around higher end
> to understand the benefits of FLOSS and how to implement it in a sane
> way, but i am happy to discuss this further if you don't think it to be
> a valid argument.

I don't quite follow the argument here. Are you saying that a lack of quality
in Free Software products causes government and business to choose proprietary
solutions? And that this occurs because they would otherwise need to remedy
the quality problems (documentation, deployment, and so on) in Free Software?
And that the only way they would be motivated to do so is to understand the
strategic case for Free Software?

I would broadly agree that the reason why Free Software sometimes does not get
adopted can be due to a lack of immediate applicability. Indeed, I remember
making the case that advocacy only goes so far because as soon as someone then
turns round and asks for specific, usable Free Software solutions, there
actually does need to be at least one usable solution in a given domain that
doesn't involve excuses being made for why certain features are not there or
not ready.

(There are, of course, other reasons for non-adoption of Free Software, like
familiarity with existing products and processes, resistance to change,
corruption, and so on.)

Thus, I ended up arguing for investment in Free Software development so that
solutions exist that are ready for actual use. Sadly, there are still plenty
of apologists for volunteer culture and the cost-cutting focus of certain
factions of the "open source" movement.

And although some people are getting the message, it dismays me that instead
of pursuing some kind of sustainable funding model, one sees the usual
tendencies to go and ask for corporate or charitable grants, and it appals me
that some of these grants could justifiably be regarded as a kind of
philanthropic penance for how the money has been made (not naming any
particular entity that I might be thinking of as I write this).

[...]

> >> or software that requires “reinventing the wheel” because of authors bad
> >> decision (lack of abstracting → Malpractice).
> >
> > Yes, "reinventing the wheel" or "not invented here" (NIH) does also affect
> > FLOSS communities. Yet proprietary software development practically
> > depends on it.
>
> That was rather meant on the development process itself to avoid major
> design failures such as GTK which generates movements such as
> https://stopthemingmy.app/ composed of "FLOSS developers" that are doing
> their best to restrict Freedom-0 and Freedom-3 on upstream level.
> - https://github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/17
> - https://github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/3
> - https://github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/16
> - https://github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/15
> - https://github.com/do-not-theme/do-not-theme.github.io/issues/7
>
> We as a community should educate and enforce the four freedoms as these
> projects will only spread like cancer and should be labeled as FOSS
> (Free as in price and without Libre).

The phenomenon above is arguably less about philosophy and more about the
practical issues around the design and evolution of a technology platform and
the management and control issues that arise in the processes concerned.
People asking that their "apps" not be themed are apparently annoyed at the
technological churn and needless work created for them in the name of
progress.

Their escape route might possibly be to fork the technologies on which their
"apps" are based, but then they have to work against the entire ecosystem of
upstream developers, distributions, and so on. The alternative is to lobby the
upstream developers, some of whom work for rather large corporations (or are
allied to those corporate interests) and ask for sympathy. I can tell you from
personal experience that lobbying against needless change doesn't get much
sympathy in this industry.

This actually leads to just one aspect of the sustainability problem our
industry faces. Technological platforms that are ostensibly the product of
lots of individuals turn out to be corporate endeavours after all, that their
complexity escalates and can somehow still be supported by improving hardware
technology, but where the experience of dealing with the technology and the
burden of that technology itself threatens to impoverish and exclude entire
groups of people from worthwhile progress in their own societies.

And, of course, there is the impact that escalated production and consumption
of technology for no measurable resultant benefit has on our environment.

Paul