FSFE-defined coding standards?

Michael Kesper mkesper at schokokeks.org
Wed Feb 10 14:17:25 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Am 10.02.21 um 13:10 schrieb Alessandro Rubini:
> The problem your describe is that of bashisms.  I agree we should use
> /bin/sh in published scripts (and ensure our own sh is not some
> featureful derivation).

I think one should not publish any shell scripts any more except for
the most trivial cases.

Shell code just is hard to read, not portable between systems at all,
has very bad error handling, is hard to impossible to test, in short
unmaintainable. This gets even worse if you use only POSIX features.

My 2 cents
Michael