Debian package for REUSE

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Wed Apr 28 13:23:53 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I hope many of you are already aware of REUSE. For those of you who
aren't, a short intro: REUSE is a set of best practices to make
licensing and copyright easier for everyone – especially for developers
who want to make the terms of reuse of their software clear. The focus
is on simplicity. Read more: https://reuse.software

Now, REUSE provides a helper tool, written in Python. People can install
it via PyPi, download packages via Arch's AUR or NixOS, or just build it
from source [^1].

But there is no official Debian package yet! And that makes it harder
for users and developers who want to improve the reusability of
software.

Is there anyone who would be interested helping us getting this done,
and who has experience with Debian packaging? If so, please let me know!

There already is an inofficial package, but it would be great to channel
this into the common Debian infrastructure:

  https://git.ostc-eu.org/OSTC/packaging/reuse
  https://git.ostc-eu.org/OSTC/packaging/license-expression (dependency)

Best,
Max

[^1]: https://git.fsfe.org/reuse/tool/

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl