Wiki page about Free Software for remote working

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 19:29:12 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 31. March 2020 17.30.12 Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 04:45:28PM +0200, Erik Albers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > last week some people created the a FSFE-wiki page about Free Software
> > solutions for remote working. I think it has grown quite cool and gives a
> > good overview. What do you think? Is it good? Is there missing something
> > essential?
> >
> > https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/FreeSoftware4RemoteWorking
>
> Under the Chat/InstantMessaging app IRC is completely missing, while
> still being the most stable and ubiquitous system for instant
> messaging ?

This is actually a good point. Since a lot of workplaces have suddenly been
forced into thinking about remote working, the media narrative seems to be
dominated by technologies like videoconferencing, "feature-rich" real-time
chat, and other things that happen to have prominent and opportunistic
proprietary vendors looking for new customers.

Yet successful distributed work can take place without these proprietary
products. Indeed, some of the currently-hyped solutions are possibly some of
the least efficient ways of getting work done, as some people are finding out.
Meanwhile, asynchronous communications like e-mail keep getting the job done
for many, despite continuing threats from the forces of consolidation and
monopolisation towards independent mail (and Web) service providers.

Paul